What Is Pigmentation/ Hyperpigmentation/ Dark Spots?
Pigmentation is a term referring to the natural color of your skin. When melanocytes, the cells responsible for producing melanin, become overactive, it can lead to an excess of melanin production, resulting in conditions like hyperpigmentation or skin discoloration, characterized by dark and patchy areas.
Hyperpigmentation can be caused by various factors, including internal ones like genetic predisposition, hormonal fluctuations, acne, and certain medical conditions. External triggers, such as injuries, allergies, medication side effects, and exposure to UV radiation, can also contribute to hyperpigmentation.
Common concerns related to hyperpigmentation encompass age spots, post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation, freckles, melasma, tanning, macular amyloidosis, and Lichen planus pigmentosus (LPP). These often manifest as dark spots or patches on the skin, which can vary in size and shape.
What are Causes of Hyper Pigmentation/dark spots?
Hyperpigmentation refers to a condition where specific areas of the skin exhibit a darker color than the surrounding skin. This occurs due to an increased production of melanin, the pigment responsible for skin, hair, and eye coloration. Various factors contribute to hyperpigmentation, such as sun exposure, hormonal fluctuations, genetics, specific medications, skin inflammation or injury, and certain medical conditions. Another factor is post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation, resulting from inflammation or scarring, including instances like acne scars.
Dark spots, also known as age spots, sun spots, or liver spots, manifest as flat, discolored patches of skin, usually in brown or black hues. Typically appearing on sun-exposed areas like the face, neck, hands, and arms, these spots result from an excessive production of melanin, triggered by factors such as sun exposure, hormonal changes, certain medications, and the natural aging process.
Melasma, a prevalent skin condition characterized by dark, discolored facial patches, is often observed in women. These patches can vary in color from light brown to grey brown. Referred to as the “mask of pregnancy” due to its common occurrence in pregnant women, melasma can affect individuals of any gender or age. Although the exact cause remains unknown, it is believed to be linked to hormonal changes, sun exposure, genetics, and specific medications.
Types of Pigmentation
- Age spots
- Post-acne skin pigmentation
- Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation
Pigmentation Removal Treatment I How to remove dark spots on face?
La Derma provides a range of advanced treatments tailored to address hyperpigmentation, dark spots, and melasma. Your doctor will customize a treatment plan, emphasizing regular maintenance to reduce melasma and prevent recurrence. Depending on the type, cause, and severity of your skin condition, the following options may be recommended either individually or in combination:
1. Laser Treatment for Pigmentation I Laser Treatment for Dark Spots
– Q-switched laser delivers high-intensity, short-duration pulses to target excess melanin causing hyperpigmentation. It is effective for melasma, dark spots, sunspots, and age spots. The treatment is precise, suitable for all skin types, and considered safe under the supervision of qualified dermatologists. We at La Derma use USFDA Approved Tribeam Q Switch Laser Machine which is Industry Leader. It is safer and more effective than the Unapproved Q Switch Machines used in most other clinics.
2. Chemical Peel:
– Chemical peels involve applying a chemical solution to exfoliate and remove damaged or discolored skin cells. They can effectively treat dark spots, melasma, and hyperpigmentation by encouraging the shedding of damaged cells.
3. Cosmelan Peel:
– The Cosmelan® method is a unique treatment that not only visibly removes and reduces spots but also regulates the overproduction of pigmentation, preventing their reappearance. It goes beyond traditional peeling methods, targeting the root cause. It is more effective than normal chemical peels and costs more.
4. GFC enhanced PRP Treatment:
– PRP Treatment involves extracting a small amount of blood, concentrating growth factors, and injecting the plasma into the skin with melasma, dark spots, or hyperpigmentation. It is highly effective, with most patients reporting over 80% improvement.
5. CO2 Laser Resurfacing:
– CO2 laser removes damaged skin cells, stimulates collagen and elastin production, improving skin texture and tone. The controlled delivery minimizes damage to surrounding tissue, reducing the risk of scarring.
6. Derma pen 4 Microneedling:
– This minimally invasive procedure creates microscopic tears in the skin, promoting even skin tone during the healing process. It is performed with Advanced Derma Pen 4 device at La Derma and is nearly painless.
7. Topical Medications:
– Various topical medications, such as retinoids and vitamin C, are used in the form of creams, ointments, and gels. However, their effectiveness is limited.
La Derma ensures personalized and effective treatments for your unique skin needs, enhancing your skin’s health and appearance.
Pigmentation Treatment Procedure In Kolkata At La Derma
With over a decade of experience and a long history of satisfying numerous clients, La Derma Skin & Hair Clinic has earned the trust of both men and women seeking pigmentation treatment. Keep reading to learn more about our comprehensive treatment process.
Pre-Treatment: Your pigmentation treatment begins with an initial consultation conducted by our skilled dermatologist, during which they will:
- Precisely diagnose the type, cause, and severity of your pigmentation condition.
- Create a personalized treatment plan, which may consist of single or multiple procedures.
- Determine the required number of sessions to attain the best possible results.
- Provide pre-care instructions to prepare your skin for the upcoming treatment sessions.
During Treatment: In the scheduled sessions, you can anticipate the following procedures:
- Trained therapists will prepare the targeted area.
- Our dermatologists will perform a patch test to determine appropriate parameters and reduce the risk of side effects.
- At La Derma, our doctors adhere to safety protocols to ensure a secure and comfortable session.
Post-Treatment: Following the treatment session, our dermatologists will:
- Offer detailed post-care instructions.
- Schedule additional sessions or recommend follow-up visits, as necessary.
What is the cost of Hyperpigmentation treatment in Kolkata?
What is the cost of dark spot treatment in Kolkata?
What is the cost of Melasma Treatment in Kolkata?
The cost varies a little across centres and for different persons depending upon severity of problem and procedure chosen. The indicative prices for various hyperpigmentation /dark spots treatment procedures at La Derma is given below.
|Indicative Price in ₹ per session
|GFC PRP Treatment for Face Pigmentation
|Derma pen 4 Micro Needling
|Laser Treatment for Pigmentation
|Carbon Q switch – Carbon Laser Facial
|CO2 laser resurfacing
|Cosmelan Peel Face